Why You Need a Workers’ Compensation Attorney
California has statutes that outline the benefits an individual is eligible to receive if he or she has been injured at work. The California Workers’ Compensation Act requires that your employer pay your medical costs and cover part of your wages while you are away from work. Since it is your finances at stake, it is in your best interest to work with a knowledgeable professional. You need a workers’ compensation attorney who will ensure the true extent of your losses is conveyed so you can collect maximum compensation. Contact Gilbert E. Fisher, the Fresno, CA, premier workers’ compensation attorney.
What Is Workers’ Compensation?
Workers’ compensation can be thought of as state-mandated insurance. If you work in California and suffer an injury on the job, you are eligible to recover benefits in a workers’ compensation claim. Employers in California are required by law to pay for your medical costs and a portion of your wages. This is the case regardless of who is at fault for the injury or illness – you, your employer, a coworker, or a third party.
Who Is Eligible for Workers’ Compensation?
Each state has unique laws regarding workers’ compensation that determine, among other things, who is eligible to receive it. If you are injured on the job in California, it is your employer’s duty to pay your benefits. The law requires that employers have workers’ compensation insurance if they have any employees at all. The only employers who can opt out of workers’ compensation coverage are those who do not have any employees. Failure to have coverage is a criminal offense punishable by fine and/or imprisonment.
If you work in California and suffer an injury on the job, employers are required by law to pay for your medical costs and a portion of your wages.
Why Hire an Attorney to Handle a Workers’ Compensation Claim?
You have nothing to lose by contacting a workers’ compensation attorney. Even in cases where you only suffered a minor injury, perhaps a cut or a twisted ankle, or missed little or no time from work due to the injury and your employer admitted that the injury took place at the job-site. Hiring an attorney for your workers' compensation claim can make a big difference in your outcome. For example:
- If you do not file your claim on time you may receive nothing at all. We know what deadlines must be met and can help ensure that you meet them.
- Your settlement may not cover all your bills and lost wages. You need someone with a thorough understanding and ample experience handling these claims to ensure you maximize your settlement. If you want the best outcome possible, you should call us.
- Your employer or their insurance company may deny your claim or refuse to pay benefits in a prompt fashion. It is common for employers and insurers to reject claims thinking that workers will not go through the trouble of appealing. Most of the time, they are correct. With us, on the other hand, you will secure a fair settlement because we do not stop fighting for you.
- Your employer may fire or demote you. We will protect your legal rights if your employer takes retaliatory measures.
- You may be disabled permanently and the insurance company may stop making payments. If you suffered a permanent disability, you are entitled to either a lump sum or repeating payments. Insurance companies often do anything they can to avoid making these payments. We can help make sure the payments continue as they should.
- Your social security and disability benefits may be put at risk. Without a properly structured settlement, these benefits can be lowered substantially. We will draft a settlement that minimizes or erases the offset.
Hire a Workers’ Compensation Attorney in Fresno
Attorney Gilbert E. Fisher knows how to maximize the amount you receive in a workers’ compensation claim. Send our office a message or call (559) 447-1210 today to schedule your free consultation. Regardless of how clear-cut your case may be, you have nothing to lose by clicking or picking up the phone.